[gpfsug-discuss] SMB access speed

Aslam Ghumra (IT Services, Facilities Management) A.K.Ghumra at bham.ac.uk
Fri Apr 29 17:07:17 BST 2016

Many thanks Yaron, after the change to disable encryption we were able to increase the speed via Ubuntu of copying files from the local desktop to our gpfs filestore with average speeds of 60Mbps.

We also tried changing the mount from vers=3.0 to vers=2.1, which gave similar figures

However, using the Ubuntu gui ( Unity ) the speed drops down to 7Mbps, however, we're not concerned as the user will use rsync / cp.

The other issue is copying data from gpfs filestore to the local HDD, which resulted in 4Mbps.

Aslam Ghumra
Research Data Management
____________________________
IT Services