[gpfsug-discuss] SMB access speed

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Tue Apr 26 22:27:24 BST 2016

On 26/04/16 22:09, Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've had some reports from some of our users that out CES SMB
> exports are slow to access.
>
> It appears that this is only when the client is a Linux system and
> using SMB to access the file-system. In fact if we dual boot the same
> box, we can get sensible speeds out of it (I.e. Not network problems
> to the client system).
>
> They also report that access to real Windows based file-servers works
> at sensible speeds. Maybe the Win file servers support SMB1, but has
> anyone else seen this, or have any suggestions?

In the past I have seen huge difference between opening up a terminal
and doing a mount -t cifs ... and mapping the drive in Gnome. The later
is a fraction of the performance of the first. I suspect that KDE is
similar but I have not used KDE in anger now for 17 years.

I would say we need to know what version of Linux you are having issues
with and what method of attaching to the server you are using.

In general best performance comes from a proper mount. If you have not
tried that yet do so first.

Fife, United Kingdom.