[gpfsug-discuss] mmbackup and filenames

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Wed Apr 20 13:28:18 BST 2016

On Wed, 2016-04-20 at 12:15 +0000, Simon Thompson (Research Computing -
IT Services) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We use mmbackup with Spectrum Protect (TSM!) to backup our file-systems,
> on one we run CES/SMB and run a sync and share tool as well. This means we
> sometimes end up with filenames containing characters like newline (e.g.
> From OSX clients). Mmbackup fails on these filenames, any suggestions on
> how we can get it to work?

OMG, it's like seven/eight years since I reported that as a bug in
mmbackup and they *STILL* haven't fixed it!!! I bet it still breaks with
back ticks and other wacko characters too. I seem to recall it failed
with very long path lengths as well; specifically ones longer than
MAX_PATH (google it MAX_PATH is not something you can rely on).

Back then mmbackup would just fail completely and not back anything up.
Is it still the same or is it just failing on the files with wacko
characters? I concluded back then that mmbackup was not suitable for
production use.

Fife, United Kingdom.