[gpfsug-discuss] backup and disaster recovery solutions

Jaime Pinto pinto at scinet.utoronto.ca
Mon Apr 11 17:03:00 BST 2016

Hi Mark

Personally I'm aware of the HSM features.

However I was specifically referring to TSM Backup restore. I was told
the new GUI for unprivileged users looks identical to what root would
see, but unprivileged users would only be able to see material for
which they have read permissions, and restore only to paths they have
write permissions. The GUI is supposed to be a difference platform
then the java/WebSphere like we have seen in the past to manage TSM.
I'm looking forward to it as well.

Jaime

Quoting Marc A Kaplan <makaplan at us.ibm.com>:

> IBM HSM products have always supported unprivileged, user triggered recall
> of any file.  I am not familiar with any particular GUI, but from the CLI,
> it's easy enough:
>
> dd if=/pathtothefileyouwantrecalled  of=/dev/null bs=1M count=2  &  #
> pulling the first few blocks will trigger a complete recall if the file
> happens to be on HSM
>
> We also had IBM HSM for mainframe MVS, years and years ago, which is now
> called DFHSM for  z/OS.   (I remember using this from TSO...)
>
> If the file has been migrated to a tape archive, accessing the file will
> trigger a tape mount which can take a while, depending on how fast your
> tape mounting (robot?), operates and what other requests may be queued
> ahead of yours....!

          ************************************
           TELL US ABOUT YOUR SUCCESS STORIES
          http://www.scinethpc.ca/testimonials
---
Jaime Pinto
SciNet HPC Consortium  - Compute/Calcul Canada
www.scinet.utoronto.ca - www.computecanada.org
University of Toronto
256 McCaul Street, Room 235
Toronto, ON, M5T1W5