[gpfsug-discuss] backup and disaster recovery solutions

Jez Tucker jtucker at pixitmedia.com
Mon Apr 11 16:23:06 BST 2016

Hi

  Having just commissioned three TSM setups and one with HSM, I can say
that's not available from the standard APAR updates at present - however it
would be rather nice...

The current release is 7.1.5

Jez

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Jaime Pinto <pinto at scinet.utoronto.ca>
wrote:

> I heard as recently as last Friday from IBM support/vendors/developers of
> GPFS/TSM/HSM that the newest release of Spectrum Protect (7.11) offers a
> GUI interface that is user centric, and will allow for unprivileged users
> to restore their own material via a newer WebGUI (one that also works with
> Firefox, Chrome and on linux, not only IE on Windows). Users may
> authenticate via AD or LDAP, and traverse only what they would be allowed
> to via linux permissions and ACLs.
>
> Jaime
>

> Quoting Jonathan Buzzard <jonathan at buzzard.me.uk>:
>
> On Mon, 2016-04-11 at 10:34 -0400, Jaime Pinto wrote:
>>
>>> Do you want backups or periodic frozen snapshots of the file system?
>>>
>>> Backups can entail some level of version control, so that you or
>>> end-users can get files back on certain points in time, in case of
>>> accidental deletions. Besides 1.5PB is a lot of material, so you may
>>> not want to take full snapshots that often. In that case, a
>>> combination of daily incremental backups using TSM with GPFS's
>>> mmbackup can be a good option. TSM also does a very good job at
>>> controlling how material is distributed across multiple tapes, and
>>> that is something that requires a lot of micro-management if you want
>>> a home grown solution of rsync+LTFS.
>>>

>> Is there any other viable option other than TSM for backing up 1.5PB of
>> data? All other backup software does not handle this at all well.
>>
>> On the other hand, you could use gpfs built-in tools such a
>>> mmapplypolicy to identify candidates for incremental backup, and send
>>> them to LTFS. Just more micro management, and you may have to come up
>>> with your own tool to let end-users restore their stuff, or you'll
>>> have to act on their behalf.
>>>

>> I was not aware of a way of letting end users restore their stuff from
>> *backup* for any of the major backup software while respecting the file
>> system level security of the original file system. If you let the end
>> user have access to the backup they can restore any file to any location
>> which is generally not a good idea.
>>
>> I do have a concept of creating a read only Fuse mounted file system
>> from a TSM point in time synthetic backup, and then using the shadow
>> copy feature of Samba to enable restores using the "Previous Versions"
>> feature of windows file manager.
>>
>> I got as far as getting a directory tree you could browse through but
>> then had an enforced change of jobs and don't have access to a TSM
>> server any more to continue development.
>>
>> Note if anyone from IBM is listening that would be a super cool feature.
>>

>> JAB.
>>
>> --
>> Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan (at) buzzard.me.uk
>> Fife, United Kingdom.

> ---
> Jaime Pinto
> SciNet HPC Consortium  - Compute/Calcul Canada
> www.scinet.utoronto.ca - www.computecanada.org
> University of Toronto
> [...]

This email is confidential in that it is intended for the exclusive
attention of the addressee(s) indicated. If you are not the intended
recipient, this email should not be read or disclosed to any other person.
Please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your
computer system. Any opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the
company from which this email was sent and, whilst to the best of our
knowledge no viruses or defects exist, no responsibility can be accepted
for any loss or damage arising from its receipt or subsequent use of this
email.