[gpfsug-discuss] Encryption - guidelines, performance penalties?

Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Fri Apr 1 16:10:00 BST 2016

I thought the enc/decrypt was done client side?

So nothing on the nsd server?

Simon
From: gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org [gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org] on behalf of Oesterlin, Robert [Robert.Oesterlin at nuance.com]
Sent: 01 April 2016 16:08
To: gpfsug main discussion list
Subject: [gpfsug-discuss] Encryption - guidelines, performance penalties?

There are a number of good guides and Redbooks out from IBM that talk about the implementation of encryption in a Spectrum Scale (GPFS) cluster. What I’m looking for are other white papers, guidelines, reference material on the sizing considerations. For instance, what’s the performance overhead on an NSD server? If I have a well running cluster today, and I start using encryption, will my NSD servers need to be changed? (more of then, more CPU, etc)

And references material or practical experience welcome.

Bob Oesterlin
Sr Storage Engineer, Nuance HPC Grid