[gpfsug-discuss] Quotas, replication and hsm

Wayne Sawdon wsawdon at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 28 14:11:25 GMT 2015

> From: "Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services)"
> <S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk>
>
> Second part of the question. If a file is transferred to tape (or
> compressed maybe as well), does the file still count against quota,
> and how much for? As on hsm tape its no longer copies=2. Same for a
> compressed file, does the compressed file count as the original or
> compressed size against quota? I.e. Could a user accessing a
> compressed file suddenly go over quota by accessing the file?

Quotas account for space in the file system. If you migrate a user's file
to tape, then that user is credited for the space saved. If a later access
recalls the file then the user is again charged for the space. Note that
HSM recall is done as "root" which bypasses the quota check -- this allows
the file to be recalled even if it pushes the user past his quota limit.

Compression (which is currently in beta) has the same properties. If you
compress a file, then the user is credited with the space saved. When the
file is uncompressed the user is again charged. Since uncompression is done
by the "user" the quota check is enforced and uncompression can fail. This
includes writes to a compressed file.

> From: Bryan Banister <bbanister at jumptrading.com>
>
> I also would like to know what the output of the ILM "LIST" policy
> reports for KB_ALLOCATED for replicated files.  Is it the replicated
> amount of data?

KB_ALLOCATED shows the same value that stat shows, So yes it shows the
replicated amount of data actually used by the file.

-Wayne