[gpfsug-discuss] ILM and Backup Question

Wayne Sawdon wsawdon at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 26 22:22:58 GMT 2015

> From: "Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services)"
>
> Does anyone know how TSM backups handle XATTRs?

TSM capture XATTRs and ACLs in an opaque "blob" using gpfs_fgetattrs.
Unfortunately, TSM stores the opaque blob with the file data. Changes to
the blob require the data to be backed up again.

> Or even other attributes like immutability,

Immutable files may be backed up and restored as immutable files.
Immutability is restored after the data has been restored.

> can you do a synthetic recreate of the TSM HSM tape from backups?

TSM stores data from backups and data from HSM in different pools. A file
that is both HSM'ed and backed up will have at least two copies of data
off-line. I suspect that losing a tape from the HSM pool will have no
effect on the backup pool, but you should verify that with someone from
TSM.

-Wayne