[gpfsug-discuss] Independent Inode Space Limit

Luke Raimbach Luke.Raimbach at crick.ac.uk
Mon Oct 5 13:57:14 BST 2015

Hi All,

When creating an independent inode space, I see the valid range for the number of inodes is between 1024 and 4294967294.

Is the ~4.2billion upper limit something that can be increased in the future?

I also see that the first 1024 inodes are immediately allocated upon creation. I assume these are allocated to internal data structures and are a copy of a subset of the first 4038 inodes allocated for new file systems? It would be useful to know if these internal structures are fixed for independent filesets and if they are not, what factors determine their layout (for performance purposes).

Many Thanks,
Luke.

Luke Raimbach​
Senior HPC Data and Storage Systems Engineer,
The Francis Crick Institute,
Gibbs Building,
215 Euston Road,
London NW1 2BE.

E: luke.raimbach at crick.ac.uk
W: www.crick.ac.uk

The Francis Crick Institute Limited is a registered charity in England and Wales no. 1140062 and a company registered in England and Wales no. 06885462, with its registered office at 215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE.