[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS API Question

Hoffman, Christopher P cphoffma at lanl.gov
Fri Nov 20 16:52:23 GMT 2015

Greetings,

I hope this is the correct place to post this, if not I apologize.

I'm attempting work with extended attributes on gpfs using the C API interface. I'm wanting to be able to read attributes and then based off that value, change the attribute.

What I've done so far is a policy scan that collects certain inodes based of an xattr value. From there I collect inode numbers. Just to clarify, I'm trying to not work with a path name of any sorts, just inode.

There are these functions:

int gpfs_igetattrsx(gpfs_ifile_t *ifile,
                    int flags,
                    void *buffer,
                    int bufferSize,
                    int *attrSize);

and

int gpfs_iputattrsx(gpfs_ifile_t *ifile,
                    int flags,
                    void *buffer,
                    const char *pathName);

I'm looking at how to use iputattrsx but the void *buffer part confuses me on what struct to use. I've been playing with igetattrsx to try to attempt and figure out what struct to use based off the data I am seeing. I've come across gpfsGetSetXAttr_t but haven't had any luck using it.

My question is, is this even possible to manipulate custom XATTRs via the gpfs api? If so any ideas on what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Christopher