[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS and High Availability , GPFS and the System i (AS/400 )

service at metamodul.com service at metamodul.com
Wed Nov 11 16:57:49 GMT 2015

@IBM

GPFS and HA

GPFS has now the so called protocol nodes which do provide a HA environment for
NFS and SAMBA.
I assume its based on the CTDB since the CTDB is currently supporting a few
protocols already.*

What i would like to see is a generic HA interface using GPFS. It could be based
on the CTDB , native GPFS callbacks or any service providing HA functionality
based on a clustered FS.
Such a service would allow - only with minor extentions - to make almost any
service (Oracle,DB2,FTP,SSH,NFS,CRON,TSM  a.s.o )  HA.
So IMHO the current approach is a little bit shortsighted.

GPFS and System i
 I looking forward the day we have a SQL interface/API to GPFS. Thus storing DB
objects natively on a GPFS thus not using any kind of addional DB files.
Now if you would have such an interface what about a general modern language
which supportr SQL and is multi node runable ?

Who knows ... Maybe the AS/400 gets reinvented

cheers
Hajo

Reference:
 * https://ctdb.samba.org/documentation.html