[gpfsug-discuss] Fragmented Inode Space and Performance of Policy Scans

Zachary Giles zgiles at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 15:49:06 GMT 2015

I've always wondered also what the decision point is to make new inode
tables per fileset.

Sounds like the main benefit is scope of mmapplypolicy ( and other commands
maybe ) and subblocks being grouped together for performance reasons. Is
that right?
Are there other benefits like portability or grouping a fileset's inode
table into specific failure groups (in the system pool) etc?
Any downsides? ( for example: now you have more overall metadata reads.. or
only a limited number of inode tables.. or total number of inodes in the
system is higher due to overallocation on N tables ? )

-Zach