[gpfsug-discuss] Disabling individual Storage Pools by themselves? How about GPFS Native Raid?

Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Fri Jun 19 20:17:32 BST 2015

My understanding I that GSS and IBM ESS are sold as pre configured systems.

So something like 2x servers with a fixed number of shelves. E.g. A GSS 24 comes with 232 drives.

So whilst that might be  1Pb system (large scale), its essentially an appliance type approach and not scalable in the sense that it isn't supported add another storage system.

So maybe its the way it has been productised, and perhaps gnr is technically capable of having more shelves added, but if that isn't a supports route for the product then its not something that as a customer I'd be able to buy.

Simon
From: gpfsug-discuss-bounces at gpfsug.org [gpfsug-discuss-bounces at gpfsug.org] on behalf of Marc A Kaplan [makaplan at us.ibm.com]
Sent: 19 June 2015 19:45
To: gpfsug main discussion list
Subject: Re: [gpfsug-discuss] Disabling individual Storage Pools by themselves? How about GPFS Native Raid?

OOps...  here is the official statement:

GPFS Native RAID (GNR) is available on the following: v IBM Power® 775 Disk Enclosure. v IBM System x GPFS Storage Server (GSS). GSS is a high-capacity, high-performance storage solution that combines IBM System x servers, storage enclosures, and drives, software (including GPFS Native RAID), and networking components. GSS uses a building-block approach to create highly-scalable storage for use in a broad range of application environments.

I wonder what specifically are the problems you guys see with the "GSS building-block" approach to ... highly-scalable...?