[gpfsug-discuss] Disabling individual Storage Pools by themselves? How about GPFS Native Raid?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Fri Jun 19 16:35:32 BST 2015

On Fri, 2015-06-19 at 17:23 +0200, Stijn De Weirdt wrote:
> hi marc,
>

> > 1. YES, Native Raid can recover from various failures: drawers, cabling,
> > controllers, power supplies, etc, etc.
> > Of course it must be configured properly so that there is no possible
> > single point of failure.
> hmmm, this is not really what i was asking about. but maybe it's easier
> in gss to do this properly (eg for 8+3 data protection, you only need 11
> drawers if you can make sure the data+parity blocks are send to
> different drawers (sort of per drawer failure group, but internal to the
> vdisks), and the smallest setup is a gss24 which has 20 drawers).
> but i can't rememeber any manual suggestion the admin can control this
> (or is it the default?).

I got the impression that GNR was more in line with the Engenio dynamic
disk pools

http://www.netapp.com/uk/technology/dynamic-disk-pools.aspx

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/shared-content~data-sheets~en/documents~dynamic_disk_pooling_technical_report.pdf

That is traditional RAID sucks with large numbers of big drives.

Fife, United Kingdom.