[gpfsug-discuss] Disabling individual Storage Pools by themselves? How about GPFS Native Raid?

Sven Oehme oehmes at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 19 16:09:41 BST 2015

Reporting is not the issue, one of the main issue is that we can't talk to the enclosure, which results in loosing the capability to replace disk drive or turn any fault indicators on.
It also prevents us to 'read' the position of a drive within a tray or fault domain within a enclosure, without that information we can't properly determine where we need to place strips of a track to prevent data access loss in case a enclosure or component fails.

Sven

Sent from IBM Verse

   Zachary Giles --- Re: [gpfsug-discuss] Disabling individual Storage Pools by themselves? How about GPFS Native Raid? ---
    From:"Zachary Giles" <zgiles at gmail.com>To:"gpfsug main discussion list" <gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org>Date:Fri, Jun 19, 2015 9:56 AMSubject:Re: [gpfsug-discuss] Disabling individual Storage Pools by themselves? How about GPFS Native Raid?
  I think it's technically possible to run GNR on unsupported trays. You may have to do some fiddling with some of the scripts, and/or you wont get proper reporting. Of course it probably violates 100 licenses etc etc etc. I don't know of anyone who's done it yet. I'd like to do it.. I think it would be great to learn it deeper by doing this. On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services)  wrote: > Er. Everytime I’ve ever asked about GNR,, the response has been that its > only available as packaged products as it has to understand things like the > shelf controllers, disk drives etc, in order for things like the disk > hospital to work. (And the last time I asked talked about GNR was in May at > the User group). > > So under (3), I’m posting here asking if anyone from IBM knows anything > different? > > Thanks > > Simon > > From: Marc A Kaplan  > Reply-To: gpfsug main discussion list  > Date: Friday, 19 June 2015 14:51 > To: gpfsug main discussion list  > Subject: Re: [gpfsug-discuss] Disabling individual Storage Pools by > themselves? How about GPFS Native Raid? > > 2. I don't know the details of the packaged products, but I believe you can > license the software and configure huge installations, > comprising as many racks of disks, and associated hardware as you desire or > need. The software was originally designed to be used > in the huge HPC computing laboratories of certain governmental and > quasi-governmental institutions. > > _______________________________________________ > gpfsug-discuss mailing list > gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org > http://gpfsug.org/mailman/listinfo/gpfsug-discuss > -- Zach Giles zgiles at gmail.com _______________________________________________ gpfsug-discuss mailing list gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org http://gpfsug.org/mailman/listinfo/gpfsug-discuss