[gpfsug-discuss] Disabling individual Storage Pools by themselves? How about GPFS Native Raid?

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 19 14:51:32 BST 2015

1. YES, Native Raid can recover from various failures: drawers, cabling,
controllers, power supplies, etc, etc.
Of course it must be configured properly so that there is no possible
single point of failure.

But yes, you should get your hands on a test rig and try out (simulate)
various failure scenarios and see how well it works.

2. I don't know the details of the packaged products, but I believe you
can license the software and configure huge installations,
comprising as many racks of disks, and associated hardware as you desire
or need.  The software was originally designed to be used
in the huge HPC computing laboratories of certain governmental and
quasi-governmental institutions.

3. If you'd like to know and/or explore more, read the pubs, do the
experiments, and/or contact the IBM sales and support people.
IF by some chance you do not get satisfactory answers, come back here
perhaps we can get your inquiries addressed by the
GPFS design team.  Like other complex products, there are bound to be some
questions that the sales and marketing people
can't quite address.