[gpfsug-discuss] Disabling individual Storage Pools by themselves?

Stijn De Weirdt stijn.deweirdt at ugent.be
Fri Jun 19 08:18:31 BST 2015

> What do you see as the pros and cons of using GPFS Native Raid and
> configuring your disk arrays as JBODs instead of using RAID in a box.

just this week we had an issue with bad disk (of the non-failing but
disrupting everything kind) and issues with the raid controller (db of
both controllers corrupted due to the one disk, controller reboot loops
etc etc).

but tech support pulled it through, although it took a while. i'm amased
what can be done with the hardware controllers (and i've seen my share
of recoveries ;)

my question to ibm wrt gss would be: can we have a "demo" of gss
recovering from eg a drawer failure (eg pull both sas connectors to the
drawer itself). i like the gss we have and the data recovery for single
disk failures, but i'm not sure how well it does with major component
failures. the demo could be the steps support would take to get it
running again (e.g. can gss recover from a drawer failure, assuming the
disks are still ok ofcourse).

stijn