[gpfsug-discuss] ILM question

Zachary Giles zgiles at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 17:06:33 BST 2015

I would expect it to return to one of your online tiers. If you tier
between two storage pools, you can directly read and write those files.
Think of how LTFS works -- it's an external storage pool, so you need to
run an operation via an external command to give the file back to GPFS from
which you can read it. This is controlled via the policies and I assume you
would need to make a policy to specify where the file would be placed when
it comes back.

It would be fancy for someone to allow reading directly from an external
pool, but as far as I know, it has to hit a disk first.
What I don't know is: Will it begin streaming the files back to the user as
the blocks hit the disk, while other blocks are still coming in, or must
the whole file be recalled first?