[gpfsug-discuss] OpenStack Manila Driver

Bill Owen billowen at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 18 05:22:25 BST 2015

Hi Luke,
Your explanation below is correct, with some minor clarifications

Manila is an OpenStack project which allows storage admins to create and
destroy filesystem shares and make those available to  vm instances and
bare metal servers which would be accessed over NFS.   The Manila driver
runs in the control plane and creates a new gpfs independent fileset for
each new share.  It provides automation for giving vm's (and also bare
metal servers) acces to the shares so that they can mount and use the
share.  There is work being done to allow automating the mount process when
the vm instance boots.

The tenants don’t have root access to the file system, but the Manila
component acts as a wrapper to file system administrative equivalents like
mmcrfileset, mmdelfileset, link and unlink. The shares are created as GPFS
filesets which are then presented over NFS.

The manila driver uses the following gpfs commands:
When a share is created:
mmcrfileset
mmlinkfileset
mmsetquota

When a share is deleted:
mmunlinkfileset
mmdelfileset

Snapshots of shares can be created and deleted:
mmcrsnapshot
mmdelsnapshot

Today, the GPFS Manila driver supports creating NFS exports to VMs.  We are
considering adding native GPFS client support in the VM, but not sure if
the benefit justifies the extra complexity of having gpfs client in vm
image, and also the impact to cluster as vm's come up and down in a more
dynamic way than physical nodes.

For multi-tenant deployments, we recommend using a different filesystem per
tenant to provide better separation of data, and to minimize the "noisy
neighbor" effect for operations like mmunlinkfileset.

Here is a presentation that shows an overview of the GPFS Manila driver:
(See attached file: OpenStack_Storage_Manila_with_GPFS.pdf)

Perhaps this, and other GPFS & OpenStack topics could be the subject of a
future user group session.

Regards,
Bill Owen
billowen at us.ibm.com