[gpfsug-discuss] Disabling individual Storage Pools by, themselves?

Chris Hunter chris.hunter at yale.edu
Fri Jun 19 22:18:51 BST 2015

Smells of troll bait but I'll bite.

"Declustered RAID" certainly has benefits for recovery of failed disks
but I don't think it claims performance benefits over traditional RAID.
GNR certainly has a large memory footprint. Object RAID is a close
cousin that has flexbile expansion capability, depending on product
packaging GNR could likely match these features.
Argonne labs (Illinois USA) has done a lot with both GNR and RAID GPFS,
I would be interested in their experiences.

> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 17:01:01 -0400
> From: Marc A Kaplan <makaplan at us.ibm.com>
> To: gpfsug main discussion list <gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org>
> Subject: Re: [gpfsug-discuss] Disabling individual Storage Pools by
> 	themselves?
>
> What do you see as the pros and cons of using GPFS Native Raid and
> configuring your disk arrays as JBODs instead of using RAID in a box.

chris hunter
yale hpc group