[gpfsug-discuss] Disabling individual Storage Pools by themselves?

Wahl, Edward ewahl at osc.edu
Thu Jun 18 15:08:29 BST 2015

 We had a unique situation with one of our many storage arrays occur in the past couple of days and it brought up a question I've had before.   Is there a better way to disable a Storage Pool by itself rather than 'mmchdisk stop' the entire list of disks from that pool or mmfsctl and exclude things, etc?  Thoughts?

 In our case our array lost all raid protection in a certain pool (8+2) due to a hardware failure, and started showing drive checkcondition errors on other drives in the array. Yikes!  This pool itself is only about 720T and is backed by tape, but who wants to restore that?  Even with SOBAR/HSM that would be a loooong week. ^_^  We made the decision to take the entire file system offline during the repair/rebuild, but I would like to have run all other pools save this one in a simpler manner than we took to get there.

 I'm interested in people's experiences here for future planning and disaster recovery.  GPFS itself worked exactly as we had planned and expected but I think there is room to improve the file system if I could "turn down" an entire Storage Pool that did not have metadata for other pools on it, in a simpler manner.

I may not be expressing myself here in the best manner possible.  Bit of sleep deprivation after the last couple of days. ;)

Ed Wahl
OSC