[gpfsug-discuss] SMB support and config

Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Tue Jul 7 12:39:24 BST 2015

So based on what I’m seeing ...

When you run mmstartup, the start process edits /etc/nsswitch.conf.

I’ve managed to make it work in my environment, but I had to edit the file
/usr/lpp/mmfs/bin/mmcesop to make it put ldap instead of winbind when it
starts up.

I also had to do some studious use of "net conf delparm” … Which is
probably not a good idea.

I did try using:
mmuserauth service create --type userdefined --data-access-method file

And the setting the "security = ADS” parameters by hand with "net conf”
(can’t do it with mmsmb), and a manual “net ads join" but I couldn’t get
it to authenticate clients properly. I can’t work out why just at the
moment.

But even then when mmshutdown runs, it still goes ahead and edits
/etc/nsswitch.conf

I’ve got a ticket open with IBM at the moment via our integrator to see
what they say.

But I’m not sure I like something going off and poking things like
/etc/nsswitch.conf at startup/shutdown. I can sorta see that at config
time, but when service start etc, I’m not sure I really like that idea!

Simon