[gpfsug-discuss] 4.1.1 protocol support

Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Thu Jul 2 19:52:28 BST 2015

Hi Michael,

Thanks for that link.

This is the docs I’d found before:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/#!/STXKQY_4.1.1/com.ibm.spectrum.scale.v4r11.ins.doc/bl1ins_manualprotocols.htm

I guess one of the reasons for wanting to unpick is because we already have configuration management tools all in place.

I have no issue about GPFS config being inside GPFS, but we really need to know what is going on (and we can manage to get the RPMs all on etc if we know what is needed from the config management tool).

I do note that it needs CCR enabled, which we currently don’t have. Now I think this was because we saw issues with mmsdrestore when adding a node that had been reinstalled back into the cluster. I need to check if that is still the case (we work on being able to pull clients, NSDs etc from the cluster and using xcat to reprovision and the a config tool to do the relevant bits to rejoin the cluster … makes it easier for us to stage kernel, GPFS, OFED updates as we just blat on a new image).

I don’t really want to have a mix of Sernet and IBM samba on there, so am happy to pull out those bits, but obviously need to get the IBM bits working as well.

Multicluster … well, our “protocol” cluster is a separate cluster from the NSD cluster (can’t remote expel, might want to add other GPFS clusters to the protocol layer etc). Of course the multi cluster talks GPFS protocol, so I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t work, but yes, noted its not supported.

Simon

From: Michael Garwood7 <GARWOODM at uk.ibm.com<mailto:GARWOODM at uk.ibm.com>>
Date: Thursday, 2 July 2015 16:55
To: gpfsug main discussion list <gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org<mailto:gpfsug-discuss at gpfsug.org>>
Subject: Re: [gpfsug-discuss] 4.1.1 protocol support

Hi Simon,

1. Most of the chef recipes involve installing the various packages required for the protocols, and some of the new performance monitoring packages required for mmperfquery. There is a series of steps for proper manual install at http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/STXKQY_4.1.1/com.ibm.spectrum.scale.v4r11.adv.doc/bl1adv_ces_features.htm but this assumes you have all IBM Samba RPMs and prerequisites installed. The recipes *should* be split out so that at the very least, RPM install is done in its own recipe without configuring or enabling anything...
2. I am not 100% sure what deploying IBM Samba on the cluster will do with regards to sernet samba. As far as I am aware there is no code in the installer or chef recipes to check for other samba deployments running but I may be mistaken. Depending on how sernet samba hooks to GPFS I can't think of any reason why it would cause problems aside from the risk of the protocols not communicating and causing issues with file locks/data overwrites, depending on what workload you have running on samba.
3. I haven't personally seen multicluster deployments done or tested before, but no, it is not officially supported. The installer has been written with the assumption that you are installing to one cluster, so I wouldn't recommend trying with multiple clusters - unforseen consequences :)

Regards,

Michael Garwood
IBM Systems Developer

Phone: 44-161-905-4118