[gpfsug-discuss] Experiences with thinly-provisioned volumes?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Wed Dec 23 13:30:34 GMT 2015

On 23/12/15 12:47, Oesterlin, Robert wrote:
> I’m talking about the case where the storage device uses
> thin-provisioning internally to allow for better utilization. In this
> particular case the vendor array uses thin-provisioning, and I don’t
> have an option to turn it off.

In which case I would argue that the storage array is unsuitable for use
with GPFS if having that space reserved for GPFS is a problem for you.

But to answer your question if GPFS does not send TRIM/UNMAP commands to
block devices this is exactly what you would expect just like any other
file system that does not do discards. Depending on how "smart" the
storage array is, it might spot if you write zeros all over and reclaim
the space.

My understanding of GPFS is that you want relatively dumb storage
devices that don't do or at least can be turned off fancy stuff like
thin provisioning, tiering, flash cache's etc. because this just gets in
the way of GPFS.

Fife, United Kingdom.