[gpfsug-discuss] Anyone else using Veritas NetBackup with GPFS?

Matt Weil mweil at genome.wustl.edu
Thu Dec 3 15:34:43 GMT 2015

Paul,

We currently run netbackup to push about 1.3PB of real data to tape.
This using 1 nb master and a single media server that is also a GPFS
client.  The media server uses the spare file system space as a staging
area before writing to tape.  We have recently invested into a TSM
server due to limitations of netbackup.  The PVU licensing model makes
TSM cost effective.  We simply are not able to speed up the netbackup
catalog even with SSD.  You could potentially use the gpfs ilm engine to
create file lists to feed to netbackup.

netbackup (now back to veritas) does not officially support GPFS.
Netbackup is not aware of gpfs metadata.

Matt

On 12/2/15 4:22 PM, Sanchez, Paul wrote:
> We have a relatively mature NetBackup environment which handles all of
> our tape backup requirements (e.g. databases, NetApp via NDMP, Windows
> shares, and native Linux – which provides rudimentary coverage of
> GPFS).  Because of this existing base, we’re hesitant to invest in a
> completely separate infrastructure just for the benefit of GPFS
> backups.  While this works well for many filesets, it’s not ideal for
> very large ones.
> We’ve been trying to get Veritas to support a more parallel file-scan
> and file-copy approach to backing up GPFS filesystems, and have
> repeatedly hit a brick wall there over the past year.  But I have a
> recent thread in which they note that there is a fairly large and
> vocal GPFS customer who drives significant feature flow in their
> product.  Any chance that customer is a member of the User Group?  If
> so, I’d love to hear from you.
> Thanks,
> Paul

____
This email message is a private communication. The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, privileged, and/or proprietary material. Any review, duplication, retransmission, distribution, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is unauthorized by the sender and is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately by return email and delete the original message from all computer systems. Thank you.