[gpfsug-discuss] fast ACL alter solution

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 7 22:21:28 BST 2015

You asked:

"your description of the ACL implementation looks like each file has some
sort of reference to the ACL - so multiple files could reference the same
physical ACL data. In our case, we need to set a large number of files
(and directories) to the same ACL (content) - could we take any benefit
from these 'pseudo' referencing nature ? i.e. set ACL contents once and
the job is done ;-). It looks that mmputacl can only access the ACL data
'through' a filename and not 'directly' - we just need the 'dirty' way ;-)
"

Perhaps one could hack/patch that - but I can't recommend it.  Would you
routinely hack/patch the GPFS metadata that comprises a directory?
Consider replicated and logged metadata ... Consider you've corrupted the
hash table of all ACL values...