[gpfsug-discuss] fast ACL alter solution

Stuart Barkley stuartb at 4gh.net
Sat Aug 1 22:45:40 BST 2015

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 at 12:28 -0000, Martin Gasthuber wrote:

> In our setup, the files gets copied to a (user accessible) GPFS
> instance which controls the access by NFSv4 ACLs (only !) and from
> time to time, we had to modify these ACLs (add/remove user/group
> etc.). Doing a (non policy-run based) simple approach, changing 9
> million files requires ~200 hours to run - which we consider not
> really a good option.

Just a thought, but instead of applying the ACLs to the files
individually, could you apply the ACLs on a few parent directories
instead?

There are certainly issues to consider (current directory structure,
actual security model, any write permissions, etc), but this might
simplify things considerably.

Stuart
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone