[gpfsug-discuss] really slow cnfs vip failover due to exportfs -u in bin/mmnfsfuncs unexportAll and unexportFS

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 13:39:14 BST 2014

Hi all,

We're running 3.5.0.19 with CNFS and noticed really slow CNFS vip failover
times > 4.5mins . It looks like it's being caused by all the exportfs -u
calls being made in the unexportAll and the unexportFS function in
bin/mmnfsfuncs . What's the purpose of running exportfs -u on all the
exported directories? We're running only NFSv3 and have lots of exports and
for security reasons can't have one giant NFS export. That may be a
possibility with GPFS4.1 and NFSv4 but we won't be migrating to that
anytime soon.

Assume the network went down for the cnfs server or the system
panicked/crashed, what would be the purpose of exportfs -u be in that case,
so what's the purpose at all?

Thanks,
Sabuj