[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS admin host name vs subnets

Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 1 20:44:45 BST 2014

I was just reading through the docs at:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/General+Parallel+File+System+(GPFS)/page/GPFS+Network+Communication+Overview

And was wondering about using admin host name bs using subnets. My reading of the page is that if say I have a 1GbE network and a 40GbE network, I could have an admin host name on the 1GbE network. But equally from the docs, it looks like I could also use subnets to achieve the same whilst allowing the admin network to be a fall back for data if necessary.

For example, create the cluster using the primary name on the 1GbE network, then use the subnets property to use set the network on the 40GbE network as the first and the network on the 1GbE network as the second in the list, thus GPFS data will pass over the 40GbE network in preference and the 1GbE network will, by default only be used for admin traffic as the admin host name will just be the name of the host on the 1GbE network.

Is my reading of the docs correct? Or do I really want to be creating the cluster using the 40GbE network hostnames and set the admin node name to the name of the 1GbE network interface?

(there's actually also an FDR switch in there somewhere for verbs as well)

Thanks

Simon