[gpfsug-discuss] Server lost NSD mappings

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Wed Oct 29 17:19:14 GMT 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-29 at 09:42 -0700, Sven Oehme wrote:
> Hello,
>

> there are multiple reasons why the descriptors can not be found .
>

> there was a recent change in firmware behaviors on multiple servers
> that restore the GPT table from a disk if the disk was used as a OS
> disk before used as GPFS disks.  some infos
> here : https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=27f98aab-aa41-41f4-b6b7-c87d3ce87b9e
>

> if thats the case there is a procedure to restore them.

I have been categorically told by IBM in no uncertain terms if the NSD
descriptors have *ALL* been wiped then it is game over for that file
system; restore from backup is your only option.

If the GPT table has been "restored" and overwritten the NSD descriptors
then you are hosed.

Fife, United Kingdom.