[gpfsug-discuss] filesets and mountpoint naming

Zachary Giles zgiles at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 16:42:56 BST 2014

Here we have just one large GPFS file system with many file sets
inside. We mount it under /sc/something (sc for scientific computing).
We user the /sc/ as we previously had another GPFS file system while
migrating from one to the other. It's pretty easy and straight forward
to have just one file system.. eases administration and mounting.
You can make symlinks.. like /scratch -> /sc/something/scratch/ if you
want. We did that, and it's how most of our users got to the system
for a long time. We even remounted the GPFS file system from where DDN
left it at install time ( /gs01 ) to /sc/gs01, updated the symlink,
and the users never knew.

Multicluster for compute nodes separate from the FS cluster.

YMMV depending on if you want to allow everyone to mount your file
system or not. I know some people don't. We only admin our own boxes
and no one else does, so it works best this way for us given the ideal
scenario.