[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS inside OpenStack guests

orlando.richards at ed.ac.uk orlando.richards at ed.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 20:56:32 GMT 2014

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014, Simon Thompson (Research Computing - IT Services) wrote:

> I was asking this question at the gpfs forum on Monday at sc, but there didn't seem to be much in how wr could do it.
>
> One of the suggestions was to basically use nfs, or there is the Manilla compnents of Openstack coming, but still that isn't really true gpfs access.

NFS should be easy enough - but you can lose a lot of the gpfs good-ness
by doing that (acl's, cloning, performance?, etc).

> I did wonder about virtio, but whether that would work with gpfs passed from the hosting system.

I was more looking for something fairly native - so that we don't have to,
for example, start heavily customising the hypervisor stack. In fact - if
you're pushing out to a third-party service provider cloud (and that could
be your internal organisation's cloud run as a separate service) then you
don't have that option at all.

I've not dug into virtio much in a basic kvm hypervisor, but one of the
guys in EPCC has been trying it out. Initial impressions (once he got it
working!) were tarred by terrible performance. I've not caught up with how
he got on after that initial look.