[gpfsug-discuss] restripe or not

Stijn De Weirdt stijn.deweirdt at ugent.be
Mon Nov 24 21:22:19 GMT 2014

hi all,

we are going to expand an existing filestytem with approx 50% capacity.
the current filesystem is 75% full.

we are in downtime (for more then just this reason), so we can take the
IO rebalance hit for a while (say max 48hours).

my questions:
a. do we really need to rebalance? the mmadddisk page suggest normally
it's going to be ok, but i never understood that. new data will end up
mainly on new disks, so wrt to performance, this can't really work out,
can it?
b. can we change the priority of rebalancing somehow (fewer nodes taking
part in the rebalance?)
c. once we start the rebalance, how save is it to stop with kill or
ctrl-c (or can we say eg. rebalance 25% now, rest later?)
(and how often can we do this? eg a daily cron job to restripe at max
one hour per day, would this cause issue in the long term

many thanks,

stijn