[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS Placement rules - group file extension?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Fri May 9 14:21:58 BST 2014

On Fri, 2014-05-09 at 17:15 +0800, Pavel Pokorny wrote:
> Hello,
> our customer would like to deny some of the file extensions
> (.mp3, .avi, ...) to be stored on GPFS FS. Is there any way to deny
> some of the extensions?
> Right now we only find the solution to make a placement rule that
> directs the files to metadataonly storage pool.

Create a really small storage pool and fill it in advance.

> This leads me to second question. Is there any easy way to make a
> group of extension (some type of templates) for placement rules?
> Because there is a lot of extensions, customer would like to deny, and
> the placement rules files start to grow :-(.

Note if you deny extensions out right you are more likely to force users
to come up with work arounds. The simple expediency of changing the file
extension for example will lead you to a game of whack-a-mole.

Better to given them really rubbish performance and don't talk about it.
The chances are this is less of a business cost than dealing with the
outright banning, especially when there turns out to be some legitimate
business reason for having multimedia stuff, if even only occasionally.

So a RAID1 of a couple of large nearline SAS disks for all MP3 etc.
files. Performance will suck, but the users probably won't realize what
is going on, and are unlikely to come to support asking why their itunes
collection is really slow. That said if you are doing ILM with a
nearline pool holding most of the storage, it is likely to be near idle
most of the time so just force all multimedia stuff to your nearline
pool is adequate.

Fife, United Kingdom.