[gpfsug-discuss] Hello!

Zander Mears zander at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jul 30 11:27:35 BST 2014

Hi All,

As suggested when joining here's a quick intro to me, who I work for and
how we use GPFS.

I'm currently a Storage System Administrator for EBI, the European
Bioinformatics Institute. We've recently started using GPFS via a three
GSS26 system storage cluster connecting to our general purpose compute farm.

GPFS is new for EBI and very new to me as well as HPC in general coming
from an ISP networking > General/Windows Sys admin > VMWare sys admin >
NetApp sys admin > storage sys admin with a spattering of Linux spread
throughout this time of around 17 years.

We are using the GPFS system as a scratch area for our users to run IO
intensive work loads on. We have been impressed with some of the figures
we've seen but are still in the tweaking stages, for example trying to
resolve excessive expulsions (looking resolved), frame overruns and
bonding issues.

We monitor a number of metrics via Zabbix which a colleague (the main
admin) setup. We work closely with the compute team who manage the
compute farm and the client GPFS cluster configured on it. We're a RHEL
shop.

I've joined mainly to lurk tbh to see if I can pick up any tips and tweaks.

Hope that's enough!

cheers

Zander