[gpfsug-discuss] Subject: Re: Can HSM be installed on the GPFS client host?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Mon Dec 8 18:36:42 GMT 2014

On 08/12/14 17:47, Grace Tsai wrote:
> Hi, Jon and Bryan,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> So if I have the following hosts now,
> (All of them are RHEL6)
>
> GPFS cluster with two gpfs servers:
>    hostname: gpfs01
>    hostname: gpfs02
> Note: This GPFS cluster provides a file system: /gpfs/slac/a/b/
>
> TSM server:
>    hotsname: tsmServer
>
> HSM host:
>    hostname: hsmA
>
> Host hsmA is a TSM client to tsmServer,
> Also
> Host hsmA is a GPFS client to gpfs01/gpfs02 and has access to
> /gpfs/slac/a/b/ file system
>
> The goal now is to migrate files in /gpfs/slac/a/b/ to TSM via the gpfs
> client hsmA
>
> What HSM components should be installed on host hsmA?

The TSM HSM RPM's for what ever version of TSM you are running on the
TSM server.

Then schedule some downtime on the file system as you will have to
umount it to enable DMAPI/HSM on the GPFS file system it :-)

But really HSM on GPFS is something of a "minority sport". If you need
to ask thes basic questions I would seriously consider whether it is a
good idea. My experience is that HSM on GPFS makes the whole thing an
order of magnitude flakier and there is a whole pile of "gotchas" that
just don't apply if you are running a bog standard GPFS file system.

If HSM is an absolute requirement then you need to go on some training
first. In my view you need to thoroughly understand both TSM and GPFS
*BEFORE* you embark down this course.

Personally I would go and by some MD3660f's or MS3260's from Dell; 60
drives in 4U things. Stuff them full of 4TB or larger hard disks whack
expansion shelves on them as required, create some dynamic disk pools,
stick them in another storage pool and then do some tiering and avoid
HSM altogether.

These days HSM only makes sense on upwards of 500TB probably 1PB data on
tape and I would imagine that a two GPFS server, one HSM server system
is just not of that order of magnitude.

Fife, United Kingdom.