[gpfsug-discuss] Moving/copying files from one file system to another

Richard Lefebvre richard.lefebvre at calculquebec.ca
Mon Oct 28 15:31:07 GMT 2013

Hi,

I'm looking to copy/move files from one gpfs file system to another in
some efficient way. Initially I was thinking to not create another file
system and just add the nsd to the current file system and gradually
remove the old nsd. That would have been the easiest with little impact
to the users. But I wanted to switch from a scatter allocation to a
cluster allocation (too improve performance) and I cannot to that if I
just add/remove nsd. I'm hopping for a better solution then a plain
rsync which would probably take a few days (~210TB).

Is there a gpfs solution to this?

Also, another question, under what condition a scatter allocation better
then cluster allocation. We currently have a cluster of 650 nodes all
accessing the same 230TB gpfs file system.

Richard