[gpfsug-discuss] Node expulsion from GPFS Cluster

Matthew Wallis mattw at vpac.org
Wed Jan 16 21:12:28 GMT 2013

Hi Linda,

I might be stating the obvious, but do make sure you check the logs on the node that requested the expulsion.

Frequently the master nodes don't get the full details of why a node is to be expelled, they just get the expulsion request, and log the action. If you check the node that made the request, it often has exactly why it made the request, usually a reachability issue, and from that node, you want to do a copy and past of the host it requested expelled, and do a host lookup to make sure it's getting the right IP or interface.

Usually at that point it turns out that someone added the expelled node with the wrong interface.

Matt.