[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS and both Samba and NFS

Adam Wead amsterdamos at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 03:49:44 GMT 2013

Hi all,

I've been following this discussion because I use GPFS with both NFS and
Samba.  Although, now I'm a bit concerned because it sounds like this may
not be an appropriate thing to do.  It seems like the issue is the
clustered implementations of Samba and NFS, yes?  Or is this for any
implementation?

I use GPFS 3,4, under RHEL5, but only on one machine.  We do not have a
cluster of GPFS systems, so it's the plain version of NFS and Samba that
comes with RedHat--no CTDB.  My one-node GPFS system exports NFS shares to
which other servers write data, as well as hosts a few Samba shares for
desktop computers.  So now I'm curious.  Is this wrong to do?  I haven't
had any problems in the three years I've had it running.

To clarify, while NFS and Samba are both writing data to the same GPFS
filesystem, they're not writing to the same files or directories.  NFS is
for server-to-server data, and Samba is for desktop clients, which is
relegated to different directories of the same file system.

Adam Wead
Systems and Digital Collections Librarian
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
216.515.1960 (t)
215.515.1964 (f)