[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS and both Samba and NFS

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Mon Dec 16 12:49:06 GMT 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 11:30 +0000, Chair wrote:
> Allo
>
>    Just jumping in here a minute:
>
> > It is unworthy of an IBM employee to spread such inaccurate misinformation.
>
> Whilst this may be inaccurate - I very, very, much doubt that IBM or
> their employees have a secret master plan to spread misinformation (!)
> In the spirit of this group, let's work together to technically look at
> such issues.

You made me begin to douby myself so I have double checked. Specifically
the ctdb-2.1-3.el7.src.rpm from the RHEL7 beta and it is as I calmed.

There is no compilable code that is linked too or dependant on GPFS.
Some of the support scripts (specifically the 60.ganesha and 62.cnfs)
are GPFS aware, but no recompilation is needed as they are copied
through to the binary RPM as is.

You either know for a definite fact that CTDB needs recompiling on a
machine with GPFS installed or you are simply spreading falsehoods. Why
make such a long and detailed post if you don't know it to be true in
the first place?

> Sven, if that is the case, perhaps you could crib the lines of code /
> show your methodology that supports your views / experience.

There is none, because he is flat out 100% wrong. I did extensive
research on this when deploying a GPFS/Samba/CTDB solution. I need a
recompile to get the vfs_gpfs module and I naturally as was not going to
use the RHEL supplied CTDB rpms without thoroughly checking out whether
they needed recompiling.

Note this all pre-dated Sernet offering pre-compiled binaries with the
vfs_gpfs module included. Personally I prefer running with standard RHEL
binaries with my own vfs_gpfs. It makes it easy to have a test setup
that is plain Samba so one can narrow things down to being CTDB related
very easily. In addition you don't know which version of the GPFS
headers Sernet have compiled against.

It also helps to have pucka Windows SMB servers as well so you can rule
out client side issues. The sort of why is Powerpoint 2011 on a Mac
taking minutes to save a file, where saving it under a different name
takes seconds. When it exhibits the same behaviour on a Windows server
you know there is nothing wrong with your Samba servers.

Fife, United Kingdom.