[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS and both Samba and NFS

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Mon Dec 16 11:02:13 GMT 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 15:35 +0000, Orlando Richards wrote:
> On 13/12/13 15:31, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 15:15 +0000, Orlando Richards wrote:
> >
> > [SNIP]
> >
> >> Hi Lindsay,
> >>
> >> We rebuild ctdb from the (git) source (in the 1.2.40 branch currently),
> >> after running into performance problems with the sernet bundled version
> >> (1.0.114). It's easy to build:
> >
> > Interestingly the RHEL7 beta is shipping ctdb 2.1 in combination with
> > Samba 4.1
> >
> > http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/rhel/beta/7/x86_64/os/Packages/
> >
> > JAB.
> >
> The samba team are currently working to bring ctdb into the main samba
> source tree - so hopefully this will become a moot point soon!

Yes I am aware of this. The point of bringing up what is going into
RHEL7 was to get a flavour of what RedHat consider stable enough to push
out into a supported enterprise product.

I always ran my GPFS/Samba/CTDB clusters by taking a stock RHEL Samba,
and patching the spec file to build the vfs_gpfs module possibly with
extra patches to the vfs_gpfs module for bug fixes against the GPFS
version running on the cluster and have it produce a suitable RPM with
just the vfs_gpfs module that I could then load into the stock RHEL
Samba.

It would appear that RedHat are doing something similar in RHEL7 with a
vfs_glusterfs RPM for Samba.

Of course even with CTDB in Samba you are still going to need to do some
level of rebuilding because you won't get the vfs_gpfs module otherwise.

Fife, United Kingdom.