[gpfsug-discuss] backup and hsm with gpfs

Stefan Fritzsche stefan.fritzsche at slub-dresden.de
Tue Dec 10 10:16:35 GMT 2013

Dear gpfsug,

we are the SLUB, Saxon State and University Library Dresden.

Our goal is to build a long term preservation system. We use gpfs and a
tsm with hsm integration to backup, migrate and distribute the data over
two computing centers.
Currently, we are making backups with the normal tsm ba-client.
Our pre-/migration runs with the gpfs-policy engine to find all files
that are in the state "rersistent" and match some additional rules.
After the scan, we create a filelist and premigrate the data with dsmmigfs.

The normal backup takes a long time for the scan of the whole
gpfs-filesystem, so we are looking for a better way to perfom the backups.
I know that i can also use the policy engine to perfom the backup but my
questions are:

How do I perform backups with gpfs?

Is there anyone who uses the mmbackup command or mmbackup in companies
with snapshots?

Does anyone have any expirence in writing an application with gpfs-api
and/or dmapi?

Thank you for your answers and proposals.

Best regards,
Stefan

--
Stefan Fritzsche