[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS samba config

Orlando Richards orlando.richards at ed.ac.uk
Wed Dec 4 11:37:06 GMT 2013

On 03/10/13 10:23, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> There are a couple of
> other options as allowSambaCaseInsensitiveLookup and
> syncSambaMetadataOps but I have not determined exactly what they do...

Hi JAB - I think I've figured out what syncSambaMetadataOps does - I
think it's a performance optimsation for the vfs_syncops module. With
syncSambaMetadataOps set, you can then set:
  syncops:onmeta = no

I found this in:
http://sambaxp.org/fileadmin/user_upload/SambaXP2011-DATA/day2track1/SambaXP%202011%20Ambach%20Dietz.pdf

under "metadata synchronization performance" (slides 21 & 22) referred
to as the mysterious "new (internal) GPFS parameter"

Of course, since it's undocumented this is purely guesswork on my part -
would be good to get confirmation from IBM on this.

Also - I'd love to get the output of "testparm -v" and "mmfsadm dump
config" from an IBM SONAS cluster node to see what the best practise
GPFS + samba settings are. Any chance of that from an IBMer?

Cheers,
Orlando

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.