[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS Evaluation List - Please give some comments

Luke Raimbach luke.raimbach at oerc.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 31 12:41:49 BST 2012

Hi Jez,

>> 27. Support VM image movement among storage servers, including moving
>> entire jobs (hypervisor requirement)

> That's a huge scope.  Check your choice of VM requirements.  GPFS is just a file system.

This works very nicely with VMware - we run our datastores from the cNFS exports of the file system. Putting the VM disks in a file-set allowed us to re-stripe the file-set, replicating it on to spare hardware in order to take down our main storage system for a firmware upgrade. The ESXi hosts didn't even flinch when we stopped the disks in the main file system!