[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS + RDMA + Ethernet (RoCE/iWARP)

Arif Ali mail at arif-ali.co.uk
Wed May 30 14:18:17 BST 2012

On 30/05/12 08:28, Jez Tucker wrote:

> Hello all
>
>   I've been having a pootle around ye olde Internet in a coffee break
> and noticed that RDMA over Ethernet exists.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RDMA_over_Converged_Ethernet
>
> http://www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/2010-04-22/roce_an_ethernet-infiniband_love_story.html
>
> Has anyone had any experience of using this?  (even outside GPFS)
>
> I know GPFS supports RDMA with Infiniband, but unsure as to RoCE /
> iWARP support.
>
> It suddenly occurred to me that I have 10Gb Brocade VDX switches with
> DCB & PFC and making things go faster is great.
>
> Perhaps the HPC crowd do this, but only via IB?

I did have a look at this about a year ago, and thought it would be
great. But never thought people would be interested. and didn't find
anything within the GPFS docs or secret configs that indicated that this
is supported

In most of our setups we do tend to stick with verbs-rdma, and that is
where most of our customer's are working with.

It would be very interesting to see if it was ever supported, and to see
what kind of performance improvement we would get by taking the tcp
layer away

maybe one of the devs could shed some light on this.

--
regards,

Arif