[gpfsug-discuss] Samba mapping of "special" SID entries

Luke Raimbach luke.raimbach at oerc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 17:33:10 BST 2012

Hi Orlando,

I've been having success using Centrify to manage UID/GID mappings for our very small mixed cluster (7 x Linux, 1 x Windows 2008R2).

I've created a map for "CREATOR / OWNER", "SYSTEM", "Domain Admins", etc. group SIDs and use the Windows node to manage ACLs. When the windows node applies the ACLs, these seem to translate successfully in to GPFS ACLs and work nicely for the mixed environment allowing users on both Linux and Windows systems to manipulate each other's files.

People are mounting the FS via NFS (exported via the NSD Linux servers) and CIFS (shared from Win2k8R2). The permissions don't look friendly when you run ls -l on a Linux system over NFS but the ACLs do their job in preserving inheritable permissions, etc. If people want to see the 'real' ACL, they need to use mmgetacl on a GPFS attached node (or windows users simply click on the security tab under properties of a file).

Drop me a line off-list if you want to take a look at what we've got remotely. I can run a webex session from the Windows node if you want to have a good poke around.

Luke.

--

Luke Raimbach
IT Manager