[gpfsug-discuss] NTP leap-second can take out GPFS server - it just has

Jonathan Buzzard j.buzzard at dundee.ac.uk
Tue Jul 3 12:01:33 BST 2012

On 02/07/12 22:25, Barry Evans wrote:
> This has so far hit all almost all of the places I work with (not so
> much GPFS crashing, but certainly storage manager going bezerk) - the
> majority of them do not use public NTP servers. In most cases no one
> actually noticed until it was pointed out, well worth a quick 'top' of
> your storage servers if you're using Engenio/LSI/NetApp based units (ie,
> DS3/4/5000).
>
> The fix is here:
> http://blog.wpkg.org/2012/07/01/java-leap-second-bug-30-june-1-july-2012-fix/

Or you can upgrade to the latest version of storage manager. We are
running 10.83 and it sailed through without issue. Now admittedly most
people have probably not upgraded as it has only been out for a couple
of weeks. I was very prompt on the upgrade as it allows the one Storage
Manager install to manage both IBM DS3/4/5000 and Dell MD3xxx from the
same program.

Jonathan A. Buzzard             Tel: +441382-386998
Storage Administrator, College of Life Sciences
University of Dundee, DD1 5EH