[gpfsug-discuss] Hello, My Name Is...

Barry Evans bevans at canditmedia.co.uk
Sat Feb 11 00:33:42 GMT 2012

Barry Evans.

GPFS is my profession and sadly, my hobby. I am the Technical Director of CandIT Media UK Ltd, an ISV/Consultancy that uses GPFS to provide IP-based central storage for tapeless digital media workflows (plug over) and the owner of NSMM Ltd, a storage consultancy focused primarily on research and HPC (not really a plug) and have been breaking GPFS since 2004 (opposite of plug - break means break! sorry...).

I cut my teeth in HPC at OCF, the UK's most awesomest HPC integrator, now I mostly sell my wares in Media and Entertainment. While I do not officially use GPFS (my user experience is limited to the Netgear ReadyNas Duo behind my TV, currently 4% full), I spend a great deal of my time obsessing over your systems while you sleep. So I guess that sort of counts? I love your GPFS setup, simply because it runs GPFS. Whoever you may be. Really, it's very sad.

I live in the north of England, play in the south, support Welsh rugby and can BBQ a very tasty rack of ribs. It's very confusing, but I'm happy to discuss how such an awkward  situation can come to be in private over a pint of cheap lager.

While I am spouting, I'd like to give a HUGE HUGE HUGE  thanks to Jez for putting his hand up for chairman of the group - he's an overly outspoken chap with quite enough on his hands without GPFSUG on top - as a user he has always been dedicated to making GPFS better than it already is and he will be, without any doubt, a fantastic voice 'of the people'. While GPFS many have found it's way in HPC, we must not forget that the 'mm' in every GPFS command stands for 'multi-media' and Mr Tucker was one of the very few people in the Soho post-production community to see past the GUI-dripping allure of StorNext and Isilon and place his faith in the greatest, if not most temperamental, filesystem ever invented! It was always a dream of mine and George's to have commercial orgs network with academia/research within this group and it's clear this is taking place. Goal achieved, happy me.

Hope to see you all again soon!

-Barry