[gpfsug-discuss] Windows xattr/Samba

Barry Evans bevans at canditmedia.co.uk
Wed Aug 15 19:39:44 BST 2012

Hello all,

Anyone had success with windows extended attributes actually passing through samba over to GPFS?

On a 3.4.0-13 system with samba 3.5.11 when trying to set a file read only through Win 7 explorer and attrib I get:

[2012/08/15 18:13:32.023966,  1] modules/vfs_gpfs.c:1003(gpfs_get_xattr)
  gpfs_get_xattr: Get GPFS attributes failed: -1

This is with gpfs:winattr set to yes. I also tried enabling 'store dos attributes' for a laugh but the result was no different. I've not tried bumping up the loglevel yet, this may reveal something more interesting.

Many Thanks,
Barry Evans
Technical Director
CandIT Media UK Ltd