[gpfsug-discuss] Wouldn't you like to know if you had filesystem corruption?

Mathias Dietz MDIETZ at de.ibm.com
Thu Jan 25 17:45:42 GMT 2024

Hi Kevin,

I think there is some misconception about how FSStruct errors are detected and handled.

All nodes in a Storage Scale cluster have a health monitoring daemon running (backend for mmhealth cmd) which monitors the individual components and listens to callbacks to detect issues like FSStruct errors.
As you correctly mentioned, the FSStruct callbacks will be fired on the Filesystem-Manager nodes only and therefore raise a new mmhealth event on that node.
You can see those events running mmhealth node show  on that node.

Irrespective of the fact if this is an EMS node or an IO node, mmhealth will forward any event to the cluster manager to provide a consolidated cluster wide state view (mmhealth cluster show)
In addition, all events will be forwarded to the GUI, which will show those events as alerts.

Since many customers have their own monitoring system we provide multiple ways to get notified about new events:

  *   Scale GUI allows to configure Email notifications or SNMP traps
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/storage-scale/5.1.9?topic=gui-event-notifications

  *   mmhealth offers a modern webhook interface
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/storage-scale/5.1.9?topic=command-configuring-webhook-by-using-mmhealth

  *   mmhealth can call user defined scripts to trigger any custom notification tool

      https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/storage-scale/5.1.9?topic=mhn-running-user-defined-script-when-event-is-raised

  *
3rd party monitoring tools can use the REST API or mmhealth CLIs to poll the system status
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/storage-scale/5.1.9?topic=endpoints-nodesnamehealthstates-get

Depending on which option you choose and where your external monitoring system is running you need to ensure that there is a network route to the system.
(e.g. GUI Email & SNMP need the EMS node to talk to the server, webhook/custom script will need any node to talk to the server)
ESS IO nodes are not necessarily restricted to an internal network. We have many customers who attach their ESS to their campus network for central management and monitoring.

If you have further questions or want to hear more about monitoring & notifications, I can offer to schedule a webex session with you.

best regards

Mathias Dietz

Storage Scale RAS Architect

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Wolfgang Wendt
Geschäftsführung: David Faller
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 243294